Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Letting Go

You might be able to tell where this is going and what subject this will be on. I have been convicted about this recently and felt I should share.


I have done some research on a verse to use and it is hard to find. There weren't video games back in Jesus' time period. This has really just become popular in the last 30 years. Hmmm.....as long as I have been alive.

I am not saying video games are evil, or of the devil(as Mama Boucher said off Waterboy). There are worse things out there than playing a video game. I am not getting on a soap box saying quit all video games. It becomes an issue when addiction sets in. There are plenty of verses on addiction through out the Bible.

"No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way to escape, that you may be able to endure it." 1 Corinthians 10:13

I have enjoyed playing video games ever since I can remember.


Our first system was an Atari. Then we graduated to a Nintendo, that eventually we had to blow on the games and position them just right for them to work. The games of Bases Loaded, RBI Baseball, Double Dribble were my favorite. I still remember Contra's code for unlimited lives: UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT B A SELECT START. Amazing the things we memorize.


Then we followed Nintendo on to the Super Nintendo...Donkey Kong Country, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV, F-Zero...StarFox was dad's favorite game. My brother enjoyed the Final Fantasy series, as I played with him sometimes. Street Fighter was a favorite. I had a birthday party where that is all we did. Super Nintendo to Playstation, then PS2. Now I have a Wii. A lot of fun.

Great memories that I would never give back.

The issue I see myself facing now is...why do I still play? It is a habit. I have gotten hooked into Dynasty modes in any sports game that I play. A dynasty mode allows you to become the General Manager of a team. You determine who plays for you and who coaches your team. My thoughts become consumed with what can I do to make my team better. I am not in a competition except against myself. There is no reward.


My confession is that I have an addiction to a video game. I have to let go. I have had thoughts of this for a while. I believe God has told me that I need to take a break from playing for a while and get back to Him. In my downtime instead of studying God's word I would play a game. I took valuable time away from God to satisfy my addiction. No matter the addiction, it is still put before God and that is not how it should be for a Christian. We should be addicted to finding where God is working and join Him so He can work through us.

Is your addiction God, or is it something else?

No comments:

Post a Comment